Brain Hurrican LLC would like to partner with the WMU English Department for a Spring Semester internship program in the field of creative writing for children. We are offering three internship positions for a creative writing project for children’s stories. These stories are part of an interactive learning program that is in development. This is a paid internship at the rate of $8.00 per hour, paid by Brain Hurricane, LLC. A minimum of 12 hours per week is expected and a maximum of 20, with at least four of those hours on Fridays. The other hours are flexible, but interns will be expected to work from the Brain Hurricane office. Payment is on a time-clock system.
Interns will gain valuable experience in the following areas:
- Collaborative creative writing – writing in groups toward a common goal.
- Creative writing on a deadline – valuable real world experience pertaining to the importance of keeping up with the time constraints of the job.
- Writing for children at different grades levels – learning to adjust writing to fit different audiences.
- Incorporating curriculum into creative writing – fusing creativity with an education-based platform.
Interns will be expected to write short stories for an online education platform that incorporates learning strategies (vocabulary, reading comprehension, etc.:) with exciting, creative stories.
The duration of this internship is from Friday, January 22 until Friday, April 16. We are interested in having your department supplement the benefits of this internship with internship credit hours.
The application process for these three internships will be:
- Submission of a fictional short story of between 400 – 600 words that caters to an audience of 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade children.
- A paragraph explaining why the applicant feels he or she could benefit from this internship and a paragraph explaining what the applicant feels he or she could add to this project.
- The name and contact address (e-mail; phone) of at least one reference.
- A brief interview (either by phone or in person – TBD).
- Review of application will begin on Wednesday, January 20.
The selection process for these three internship positions is subject to the discretion of Brain Hurricane LLC. Selected applicants will be required to sign a document that allows for termination of the internship if the selected applicant does not meet the required number of hours or can not demonstrate the writing quality required. Please visit http://www.brainhurricane.com for more information about our company.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Questions: contact Brian Lam, Brain Hurrican LLC, 269.216.1474